Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Excellent Garden Party

Friends board member Eva Adler used the Secret Gardens of Cambridge tour as an opportunity to throw a party, and she shares her impressions, and those of her (lower case) friends, here with you.

I don’t have a garden. The only thing that grows in our condo in Cambridge is one large potted plant which is sometimes joined by fresh flowers in a vase.  That's why I was so excited when I realized that this was the year that the Friends of the CPL would hold our Secret Gardens tour.  It was my chance to host a garden party!  Seven of my close friends joined me for brunch on June 10th. After the brunch, slathered with sunblock, water bottles and booklets in hand, we caravanned to Area 2 and began the tour. Exulting in the weather, our attention quickly turned to the beauty of the gardens. I assigned everyone to note taking (I am a former English teacher). Here are some of our impressions:

"I love an open field with wildflowers. It reminds me of my childhood when I romped through the daisies and the buttercups."

"The spectacular formal garden has layer after layer of horticultural magic; one of the greatest copper beeches ever."

"This proper border of peonies, foxglove, and clematis must cheer its owners every day."

"My favorite was the most comfortable and personal of the gardens; lovely, peaceful, a garden you could spend hours in."

"The restrained elegance is an example of money in the service of beauty."

"Water makes a difference; the combination of open space, borders, sculptures, carriage house, and genial host is tops."

"A resplendent wildflower swath."

"Such beauty, such grace, such fun! We absolutely loved the entire tour!"

If you missed this year's tour, set your sites on 2014.  We already have some of the gardens lined up!
There are always great things happening at the library! For more information on how you can get involved with the Friends and help to support our Cambridge libraries click here.

2 comments:

  1. I was one of Eva's guests and found that this Cambridge garden tour was fantastic. I am delighted to learn that she will be duplicating this event in 2014 and will do everything in power to garner an invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic overview - why wasn't I invited?!!!

    ReplyDelete